I gave Merries a trial run (the regular/tape diapers) and here are my observations:
- It rates high on the comfort factor. The diaper is made of a cotton fabric with a dotted texture. I found this to be soft almost like cloth. The texture is such that it won't stick to the baby's bottom. The band which goes around the baby's thighs is also of a soft material. There are two side bands, in fact, to prevent leakage. Perhaps what I like most is that this diaper does not make a crinkly sound when my active little one moves about!
- It has a snug fit.The soft material sits comfortably on my baby's bottom. Another thing I noticed in my boy's diaper is that it is slightly thicker on the top than the centre. This probably accounts for the good fit and also makes it less bulky.
- I didn't find the slightest bit of moisture during diaper changes, indicating that it absorbs well and maintains dryness, even after being on all night. I don't wake up my baby even for diaper change at night as long as he is comfortable, so at times, the diaper is on for as long as 10 hours! Merries fared well here. Even in the poo test, there were no leakages and a hardly detectable odour (see below).
- The diapers contain a natural herb called witch hazel, which has antibacterial and antiseptic properties. This coupled with the softness and absorbency, will work well in preventing diaper rash.
- The diapers are virtually odour-free. Upon reading their package, I figured out that the outer surface of the diaper actually has microscopic pores that keep releasing the odour gradually, so there is no unpleasant smell!
- An interesting feature of the diaper is the wetness indicator strips down the middle of the diaper. It starts off yellow and turns a darker shade of green with saturation. While seasoned moms may not need the indicators, it will be pretty useful for moms of infants. It took me some time to figure this out, so I took pictures as a demo:
To try the diapers, you can call the local distributors for free home delivery on 04-3685191, or write to them at firstname.lastname@example.org for more information. You can also pick them up at Union Coop (Safa Jumeirah, Al Barsha, Al Wasl), or at the Quick Buy store on Palm Jumeirah. Online deliveries are also offered at supermart.ae and diapersbox.